Monday, November 7, 2011

the artichokes have a new home...

good day to all!

on October 3rd, i wrote a little post about our
Summer garden experiment. 
growing Artichokes in the PacNWest!
the project was inspired by my sweet blog friend 
Linda at Flowers On My Table.


~ if you would like...you may read the post here ~



yesterday...i caved in...the chokes were frosted by
nature...it was time to come in.


you may notice that the bloom on top is kinda of purply
and different. it was the first bloom, which, according to
this wonderful French gardening site...we should have nipped!
Mr D. and i just didn't have the heart to do it, because we
were so elated when we spied that first bloom!
( next year we will have more confidence!)

okay...
deep breath...CLIP!



here they are at my kitchen sink, on Sunday morn'!
i hung the stock upside down to start the drying process...
we had our Great niece, Brogan Rae's first B-day party to attend.


this photo was taken this morning at about 5:30 am,
just after Mr. D. left for work.
i clipped the blooms from the stock and popped them into Terracotta pots.
 i thought they looked a little naked, so i grabbed some Spanish moss
and raffia from my potting bench.



i made each bloom a little moss nest. because of  it's diminutive cuteness,
 i tucked a small raffia bow into the nest of the smallest choke.
for now, they look perfect with my Lavender jar next to our kitchen sink.

~ the little chokes will have a place on our Thanksgiving
 harvest table...as
the gathering of inspiration begins~


Mr D. and i have chosen a spot to transplant our bare plant.
we will give it a warm blanket of mulch.
in the Springtime, we plan to add two more plants...and... in the Fall of 2012,
we'll harvest, add butter, and dine with French Bread and wine!


[withLove]


http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/2011/11/moorish-style-and-fall-mantel-newbie.html

13 comments:

  1. I just saw a package of 6 tiny gems at my grocery store. Hmmmmm. :)

    In your header is that a grey linen skirt on the left? It always catches my eye.

    Thank you for your sweet thoughts and prayers dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! What a beautiful post - and I love how you and hubby will enjoy those artichokes when their true harvest time rolls around. I am now wanting to try this myself ... I've always eaten the store bought ones. BTW, I found you over at Debbbie's Newbie party - happy to meet you. I really like your place and I'll be back. Come visit me @ http://robinlynnsroad.blogspot.com/2011/11/creativity.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. visiting from Debbiedoos... wow! they make such adorable decorations! I didn't even realize they were artichokes! what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful!!! And oh, my goodness!! Up and taking pics at 5:30 AM!!

    You always do the prettiest posts around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I've never seen artichokes look so darn cute! You grew them yourself, which makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that your artichoke trial turned out!! They look SO cute in the pots!! I wish you luck next year, too!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have grown artichokes in the past but could never bring myself to eat them - they were just too beautiful. Yours look lovely in the teracotta vases - please show us pictures of your thanksgiving table. x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friend! I am so glad you had success with growing your artichokes this year! I am so impressed! I also love how they look in the terracotta pots. :)

    I hope you are having a lovely week so far! :)

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are perfect! Don't you just love gardening success? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea! I would love for you to link up Thursday (actually it starts tonight) to It’s a Party!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea. The green of the artichokes, the raffia and the terra cotta are so beautiful! I am sure that your table will be stunning! Love to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a super cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynne, so sorry I missed the post. They are fabulous, and look adorable the way you have arranged them. Good luck with the transplant and next years new ones....how very exciting!! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete