Saturday, July 14, 2012

i know...i said that i wasn't going to post until Monday but...

i popped into the blog for a second and saw Sharon Santoni's
"Happy Bastille Day !"
i had to leave a comment...because it woke up a memory!

found on Pinterest...source unknown.

One of the best memories of my teen life...Paris on Bastille Day! I was 17. It was 1969.  Three American school girls. We took the train from the Universite' at Nanterre to Paris. We bought chic dresses and watched the parade on the Champs Elysee. Although Charles De Gaulle had left office in the spring, he was in the parade. (PURE HISTORY)  I tried my first escargot on the Eiffel Tower midst the fireworks. The handsome waiter gave me the menu for a keepsake. I still have it and appreciate it's mid century flair. Happy Bastille Day to you and France, Sharon!
~Lynne
 w/L.

6 comments:

  1. Laura, I would have liked to have seen a picture of you and your friends in your dresses. All sweetness , enjoying your youth. :):) I am going to mention your give away in my post tomorrow. I keep forgeting. gaaa, hate forgeting. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT memories, Lynne! What a special thing to have done- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lynne

    What a wonderful experience for you. Thanks for sharing.

    You were brave to try escargot!

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory to have! X Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura,

    I just posted the following to you on Sharon Santoni's "My French Country Home". Stupidly, I didn't consider that I could follow your link. In any case, here's what I wrote:

    "Dear "Dreams on 34th Street"....Okay, you HAVE to read Alice Kaplan's latest book: "Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis".

    Kaplan's the widely acclaimed author of, also: "The Interpretor", "The Collaborator", and "French Lessons." Just go to her amazon.com biography......you'll get hooked. I suppose I should mention that she writes non-fiction.

    "Dreaming in French" is where you should start, though, given that you were in Paris at age 17 in 1969. You couldn't possibly imagine 3 women more different from each other than Kennedy, Davis, and Sontag....but, for each of them, her year abroad in France changed e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

    I expect that anyone who follows this blog would also (as I did last month) dive into this book and not come out until you reach the end of it.

    Level Best as Ever,
    david Terry
    www.davidterryart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a picture you just painted in my mind! Such a treasure.
    xo
    MC

    ReplyDelete