Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. D's day off ... we woke up and "called an audible".

a couple weeks ago we took our annual "first Friday
of August day off ". we usually go to Seattle to watch the Blue Angels fly.

Mr D and I woke up to a perfect Pacific Northwest Summer day.

we looked at each other and said. "do we really want to
go to Seattle?"

"let's drive to Hurricane Ridge."

 we changed the play, packed a lunch, and headed for 
the Olympic Peninsula.

the first stop was the cutest little historic town called Port Gamble.
the old mill town, with a population of a little over 900 people,
has the atmosphere of a New England seaside town. every structure is
listed on the National Historic Register.


i plan to take my mom to the tea room, the yarn shop, and the
quilt shop for her 83rd birthday.


the tea room becomes a Bistro with live music at night.


a gift shop with antiques?
 i'm in!


"Wish" was my favorite gift shop.


Mr D found this big bottle (about 13"x 9") with a lid, filled with sea shells and sheet music.
he said..."this is kind of cool".  i agreed, and checked the price.
23.00!
needless to say. we purchased it, and tucked it in the basket in the back
of the car!   i found the perfect place for it atop our cupboard in the living room.
i plan to change it's contents with the seasons.


we didn't enter the yarn shop.


taking in the exterior charm was enough, as i plan to take mom here.


the yards are framed with white picket fences.


next stop, the General Store and Museum.


more quaint cuteness!


the main floor is a very charming mercantile. there is a prominent center
staircase that leads you to the museum's displays that line the exterior walls
above the store.


a quick shot of the town's theater, and back into the car.
the next stop, Sequim and lavender country.


the annual Lavender Festival was about two weeks prior to our visit.


as you can see. the harvest was still in process.


the shops at the lavender fields are amazing.


i don't need many words here.


the pictures are enough.


you know that i was in my comfort zone.


we purchased four deep lavender plants. two for culinary use (Royal Velvet), and
two for bouquets and sachets (True Grosso).

now, up to Hurricane Ridge for our picnic lunch.


this is where i stand and wait for Julie Andrews to pop over the hill, and up into
the meadow singing..."the hills are alive...".


the Olympic Mountain range on a perfect Northwest summer day.


the wild flowers were in full bloom.


hello deer.


very healthy looking fauna roam here.


this is on the opposite side of the ridge...


... where the sea meets the sky.

you can see Vancouver Island, British Columbia beyond the Straits of Juan de Fuca.


... time to head back home.


we stopped in Poulsbo and purchased a dozen of  Sluy's famous macaroons.


we used to moor our boat in this town on Summer weekends, many
years ago. our kids loved to visit the bakery. i would buy Lefse,
warm it in a frying pan , and  serve it with butter and sugar on Sunday morning.


the place hasn't changed for over thirty years.


on the way out of town, i took a quick shot of this cute little board and batten
coffee shop. it was about 5:00 pm and still so bright outside.

perhaps we should have a first Friday tradition more than once a year.

do you have a Summer tradition?

withLove.

p.s.  i have to apologize if i have not left comments for
awhile. (i do pop in and visit so i know how you are doing.)

i have been spending extra hours at work, as
we have been a bit busy and short handed. i also have
been selected for jury duty starting Monday! eeek!

12 comments:

  1. thanks for taking us along on such a wonderful, fun filled day.. Looking at your photos, made me feel as if I were there too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like the perfect summer getaway! I love little places like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, it is all so wonderful I want to be there TODAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Port Gamble looks like such a charming little town...I'd love to visit. You live in such a beautiful part of the country, I know I'll be back! I have to, I want that lavender wreath I spotted in the shop!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place! I love quaint little villages like that. I'm glad you got to enjoy a relaxing day like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous trip. The scenery was so beautiful and so was the deer. I could almost smell the wonderful scent of lavender looking at those fields of purple. Lovely!

    blessings,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip. That area is like our Door County. It is just beautiful. I am glad you were able to take the day and do that. I can only imagine the scent from that field of lavender- Blessings-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lavender fields and views are amazing. What a beautiful trip.
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely! My inlaws live in Silverdale and I have been to that Poulsbo bakery! Delicious! The next time we head to WA (we live in GA) I'm going to ask my MIL about a day trip to Hurricane Ridge and Sweet little Port Gamble! What a breathtaking slice of creation WA is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like so..much fun!
    I love wonderful little towns filled with amazing little stores!Your neck of the woods in simply gorgeous my friend!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs to you
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. You knocked my socks off with all the beautiful pictures. I love the town. I also love the Blue Angels..but this looks way more fun. Good for you. Now I would love one of those gingerbread men.:):) Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete