Monday, September 3, 2012

a healthy reminder {week eight} ...i've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

so what's all this buzz about coconut oil?

 i have my precious daughter, Chrislyn to thank for introducing me to
coconut oil. one morning we were chatting on the phone,
and she said,  "Mom, i made the best granola using coconut oil."
 her focus on healthy eating  has elevated to a new height, as she introduces
Holland Grace to her first foods.
i have also noticed the buzz on facebook within the new mother circuit!

on my next trip to the grocery store i sought a jar of coconut oil.

. my first impression was...

...WHOA! NINE DOLLARS FOR A JAR OF OIL?

well...ok.

i placed the jar in my cart.




i took my  $9.00 bottle of coconut oil home, set it on the kitchen counter,
and grabbed my laptop. i found this link.

WHEW! i was immediately encouraged about my purchase!

my next thought was...how could i have lived this long and  NOT  known
about  the health benefits  and  the uses  for this amazing product!

if you should decide to purchase a jar...
...open, and stir with a spoon.
it smells divine.
touch the spoon with the tip of your finger and run the oil across  your lips.
take the rest of  what's left on the spoon and use it for your hands and cuticles.
ohhhh...my...goodness!  



coconut oil is the new base for my homemade sugar body scrub.
i am a big believer in using what i have around the house. so i keep it basic.
( this blend does not have to be refrigerated )
1 cup coconut oil
1/ 2 cup sugar.
( for this batch, i used brown sugar)
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.




this equation is a perfect fit for my sweet little Bonne Maman jar.

if i wish to "kick it up a notch" i will remove a tablespoon of the mixture and
grate some orange, lemon, or lime peel.  grated ginger root can be a nice
addition,  if you should have some in the house. it's an natural anti inflammatory.


i have pinned some more detailed scrub recipes and a few granola recipes
 on my "a healthy reminder" board here.

withLove.


9 comments:

  1. Good morning, dear friend! Coconut oil is amazing. I, too, use it in making granola and have even used it on a fungal foot infection for my hubby! It cleared up almost overnight when other sprays and ointments were not even touching it. It was also the only oil I used when nursing our boy back to health after brain surgery. I have even found it at trader Joe's! Happy Labor Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE.LOVE.LOVE your presentation! You always have the best ideas. Have you ever seen the mini Bonne Maman jars? I think they used to carry them at World Market...but it has been awhile. ;} I was just thinking they would be fun for a baby shower favor with your scrub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I worked at the health food store, coconut oil was all the rage. I've never tried it though. I really would love to try your sugar body scrub, so maybe it's time to finally buy some coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny- I just got some coconut oil and I am going to make your body scrub. I could sure use an anti-inflammatory- Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. The coconut oil is cheaper at Trader Joes...and they are selling it in a bigger size at costco for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get ours at whole foods and I too felt the price was a bit high but worth a try as many years ago an accident left me with an aching hip bone. For 9 months now we've used this oil and I was out in the yard this summer bending , mowing, weeding and pretty much doing whatever I wanted without pain..
    I am so happy you posted this for others to see and hopefully give a try, for their own sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll check out your board for sure! I just use coconut oil in my hair, it gets frizzy do fast and it tames the curls! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds so good, to wear and to eat:):) I think it's good for your hair also. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete