Friday, January 11, 2013

French bread on Friday... the menu!



mr d will be working this weekend...an opportunity to grab some "o.t."
that we will stashed away for a late winter trip to Whistler B.C.!

 i will be organizing and tucking the last of the Christmas boxes away.

i hope to embrace a winter indoor gardening project to share next week.

next week's menu planning will be a MUST. now that training is complete, 
we're GOING LIVE. on Monday, the change is official at work.

Sunday morning is coffee time with Mom and Dad. i'll bring
them some yummy cinnamon scones.


i have something fun...and a little bit of my history to share with you today.

it's no secret that i love menus.
when i came across a collection of vintage French menus on
Etsy last summer, i purchased them for our chandie.

:: here ::


on Bastille Day in 1969, i was in Paris. i could fib and
say that i was two years old...

...i was 17.

we were on a summer travel / study tour of Europe.

 we took the train from the Universite' of Paris at Nanterre
to the city to watch the parade and festivities.

after spending the day touring the city, (which included purchasing and changing
into some chic (affordable) French frocks), we headed to the Eiffel tower to view
the city of lights after dark. much to our surprise, we were able to be
admitted, without a reservation, to the restaurant on the second stage.

[i ate my first escargot. when would i ever have this chance occurrence
happen again...in my lifetime?  
go for it, Lynne!  (this was way before you go girl!) ]

the very handsome, young waiters, fussed over us. when were ready to leave,
we were each given a menu, a match book, and an ashtray...yes an ashtray.




as i was photographing the menu this morning, i noticed that it was actually
a year old when it was given to me.
 (perhaps that's why it wasn't so difficult for the restaurant to part with it.)



the concept of design is very "late 60's".


there are some (very fun) advertising graphics inside.

well..."near the top"! 

i once thought about taking it apart and framing various pages
for my kitchen.  i am now thinking of keeping it "as is" and
framing it for our dining room / wine bar.


what do you think?

 i welcome a creative opinion!


(thank you for all of your visits and comments this week!
if i haven't been by to visit you, i will be popping by on the weekend!)

withLove!

5 comments:

  1. Lynne, sounds like a very special time... I like either idea for the menu, as long as you have it where you can enjoy it and recapture the memories... Have a great day... Ciao bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lynne, gosh you are very good at keeping things! If it were mine I think I would display it in a box along with some other french mementos, either for the kitchen or dining room. I love the story and your menu's on the chandie look great.

    Many thanks for your visit and kind offer, you are very thoughtful. Wishing you well with all that's going on at work, pretty hectic, I can imagine! Lots of love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memento to keep all this time. I love reading about your memories of a dreamy vacay. I'm hosting my very first giveaway on my blog. If you get the chance, stop by and enter. I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The menu's are a great thing to have...I would make a wall collage of them framed in my dining room (if I had a dining room!!). I love how you save everything!

    Happy Weekend!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS IDEA, but if it includes ANYTHING FRENCH, it warrants some creative use somewhere in our homes! LOVELY IDEAS MY DEAR! Anita

    ReplyDelete