Monday, July 22, 2013

an ordinary Summer weekend, and... a gift from the sea, from Kimberley to me...and now, to you too!

hello sweet ones!

happy Monday!

since Mr D worked all weekend, i 


took on a few organizing projects inside the house,


and worked outside both days. i loved soaking in 


two healthy doses of vitamin D!  

 after Mr D returned from work on Saturday, i steamed 

butter clams, tossed a Caesar salad and poured

 a micro brew. we kicked back and watched "Dirty

Dancing".  it was the first time that i watched it

since Patrick Swayze's passing.  it was a perfect

movie choice for my our Saturday evening state of mind.


on Sunday, i was outside most of the day.

lot's of dead heading, trimming and watering...

i filled my newly acquired wine crate full of lavender 

buds, to dry for sachets.


i picked a small bundle of culinary lavender, and

some eucalyptus for the shower head.

when Mr D came home, we sipped a Summer 


Shandy before i broiled a marinated tri-tip and 


sauteed peppers, mushrooms, onions and blanched 


brussel sprouts for dinner. 




i have a little something fun to share...

so i will be switching sea glass ink to write

as i did a little over two years ago,

 when i published this post!




i had only been blogging about four months, when

Chrislyn gave me three old bottles

that (her husband) Jason's dad retrieved while scuba 

:: Port Townsend, Washington ::

diving in Port Townsend Bay. i really loved the

color of the old glue bottle. (at that time 

"sea salt green - aqua" was all the rage!)

to prepare for the post, i Googled sea glass, which 

led me to this beautiful image. 




i did not identify the source until two weeks ago, 

when this sweet note popped up on my email!


Hi,
Regarding your post on sea glass in Feb 2011, the first photograph with the sea glass in the 
hand was taken by me while vacationing in Taormina 2009. Not sure how it showed up on 
your site and Pinterest but I am flattered someone appreciates it like I do. Best hour of my 
day was sea glass hunting. And you're right, you can make pretty jewelry with sea glass.  
If anyone ever asks or wonders where in Taormina, 
take the funicular down from the charming town and you practically land on the 
most charming sea glass glistening beach.
 I cannot wait to return, hopefully sooner than later. 

Your blog is cute by the way .

Kimberley R.




  • Kimberley said that she was flattered...and it is rightly 

    so that she should be. my little blog is a journal of 

    people, places, and things that touch my heart and soul. 

    the post only holds one comment...but has become one

    of my most viewed posts of all time. 


    Kimberley's note set me straight to Google once again

    on a quest to find Taormina!




  • Taormina is a comune and small town on the east coast of the island of Sicily, Italy, in the Province of Messina, about midway between Messina and Catania. Taormina has been a very popular tourist destination since the 19th century. Wikipedia






  • a breathtaking ride from sky to sea,

    together, we shall hold a precious memory.




    thank you for your gift, dear Kimberley!

    i so enjoyed the ride!

    withLove!

    20 comments:

    1. loved this post! What a kindness from Kimberly + now I know about Taormina! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. What a lovely post...how nice to hear from Kimberley...Taomina is high on my bucket list and now discovering that it is a sea glass lover's haven has moved it even higher! Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    3. What a lovely story - I had never heard of Taormina.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi~~ What a great story!! Funny thing we just got back from Port Townsend..my in laws run a bed and breakfast there. We went to "glass" beach looking for old sea glass!! And we did not come home empty handed!!!!
      xo~ Cheryl

      ReplyDelete
    5. How amazing! I went over to visit your previous post and it was beautiful. Isn't it a small world? This world of 'Blog?'
      I am still working with my lone struggling lavender plant! It rained over the weekend and I had to drain the pot. Poor thing. I SO want it to thrive!

      ReplyDelete
    6. How funny that Kimberly found the photo, knew it was hers and contacted you. Nice...Port Townsend looks amazing.
      Love your herbs Lynne. Have a good week.
      XOXO Mary

      ReplyDelete
    7. Sounds as if you had the perfect weekend. Hope your week is as good. xoxo,Susie

      ReplyDelete
    8. It sounds like you had a fantastic weekend! How great for the person in the photo to contact you! Small world, isn't it?

      ReplyDelete
    9. What a wonderful post, Lynne! The lavender you harvested, the meals you and your husband shared and the wonder of sea glass and making new friends via blogging! The picture of Port Townsend could easily be confused with Italy...beautiful! :)

      XO,
      Jane

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hello Lynne, thank you for your encouraging words. Life has it's challenges sometimes. Your post is lovely.
      It is a very small world sometimes. The lavender is perfect. I wished I had dried some this year.
      What a wonderful meal to share with your Mr D. Love the sea glass! Xoxo Linda

      ReplyDelete
    11. What a beautiful story Lynne! Isn't it just amazing how small the world really is? I had no idea where Taormina was and now I want to go there so badly! This post is so inspiring! Makes me want to go to some local lavender fields. There are a few not too far away in NJ and NY.

      ReplyDelete
    12. LYNNE! I'm SO LATE HERE! I will comment on your next post which I'm sure you will posting up later.....this is SO LOVELY! Anita

      ReplyDelete
    13. Neat story. I would have been thrilled too. Sea glass is beautiful.

      I love your Chateauneuf- du- Pape wine box filled with lavender buds. I can't grow lavender in my climate very well and it is so pretty.
      Enjoyed your post.

      ReplyDelete
    14. How wonderful that the photographer of the sea glass and you were able to connect after all those months. What a lovely story that brightened my day. Reminds me that one never knows what will happen in the future.

      Judith

      ReplyDelete
    15. Well, of course that gorgeous sea glass would come from bella Italia. How I dream to live there one day, even if it's a seasonal home. I have never visited but my heart and soul know a part of me is there.
      Your weekend sounds perfect. Dinner and a movie is the perfect Saturday evening for me. Glad you enjoyed.
      xoxo's

      ReplyDelete
    16. So happy that I stumbled onto your blog! I knew I wanted to follow you right when I saw the lavender in the wine crate, I am obsessed with lavender and wine crates (it was the first post on my blog!) and I also love green glass (that was the 3rd post on my blog). And what a nice story about how Kimberley found her picture on your blog. What are the odds! Looking forward to keeping up with you.
      -Khammany

      ReplyDelete
    17. HUGS TO YOU my dear Lynne; thank you so much for coming and for your lovely words !!!! (((HUGS))) Anita

      ReplyDelete
    18. Lynne, What a wonderful post! Your fresh picked lavender buds are so pretty in your wine crate. Thank you for sharing your story about the sea glass. To have Kimberley find you, is a blogging friend that is meant to be! Love all your awesome photos!

      Hugs,
      Jody

      ReplyDelete
    19. Oh, I love me some lavender! I am so envious:)

      ReplyDelete
    20. Oh, I love me some lavender! I am so envious:)

      ReplyDelete