Friday, August 30, 2013

French bread on Friday...my final summer 2013 lavender story and a "souvenir d'été" !



when i tried to respond to my sweet blog friend's request,

i stumbled upon "no reply blogger"!

knowing that she visits and enjoys French bread on Friday,

here is my reply!   



Lavender loves sunshine!

i started with the garden variety from the local

nurseries, and the garden centers at Lowes and Home Depot. 

although fragrant, i felt that the plants were pale

and not very pretty, until this summer, when

 i photographed their buds inside the French


wine crate, when they looked so beautiful!

i stand corrected!

on the first week of August last summer, Mr D and i drove 

up to Sequim, WA, to the home of one of the largest 

lavender festivals on the west coast.  i was specifically 



seeking "culinary" grade and dark purple varieties!

we purchased four, 4 inch pots of lavender.  we transplanted 

them into larger pots, and kept them close to the house for the 

winter.  the blooms started to appear in the middle of June. 

they have continued to bloom all summer long!

i am overjoyed with their bounty and beauty!

so...i guess...my advice 

is to start with a little 4 or 8 inch plant from

a local garden center, then start seeking lavender 

fields that are close to you, ask questions and EXPLORE!

growing lavender has become a little hobby for me. 

with 10 plants, i now have enough

scent and savory to last until next summer!

here is a link to our festival here in Washington!

i hope that this helps!  

...and now for the French bread!

"souvenir d'été"!


this, morning, on the farm table, pressing lavender 

and thyme at first light!

 here's to the sweet and savory memories 

of summer 2013!

see you in September!

withLove!

9 comments:

  1. Lynne, your lavender is so pretty, and pressing it with thyme is a great idea... beautiful combination. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Ciao Bella ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sequim's festival was a surprising event for us in the Pacific NW as I never imagine lavender grew so well so close to the Rainforest!
    Now if only the deer would leave it alone...(they have discovered its tender flavour when first in bloom...Oh dear, no pun intended!)
    Ah, les souvenirs d'ete...
    Bon weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lavender . . . I have several plants around my yard and like gathering small bouquets for the house. The sad part is that I cannot smell. Of the 5 senses, I guess it is the least horrid to lose, but I wish so much that I could smell the lavender and my roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lavender but my plants did not survive the move last Fall. I need to get more this coming Spring- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne,
    Your lavender is so pretty, I can smell it from here. LOVE the picture of the dark purple lavender in the bowl, as purple is my favorite color.

    Have a great weekend, dear.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet friend,

    And as always, that you serve this blog with beautiful pictures.
    I am just blown away with your lavenders.

    and I love the card/souvenir with Lavender. and each time I visit this blog I feel like in the heaven of lavenders.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning dear one!

    School preparations this past week have caused me to be away from the computer, but here I am, loving all you have to share. I wish we could grown lavender here, but our winters are too rough. But all summer long, I've been using lavender essential oil in a bottle with water to spritz my linens, to wipe down wood and I've been enjoying some bouquets in urns and baskets in my dining room.

    Don't you just love it?

    Now, back to teaching French next week! LOVE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely want to try hand at them next spring. XO Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. teehehheheee....conjugasion in both French and English is tricky, especially when we're typing quickly! OH LYNNE, how I would love to teach adults how to speak French! Oui, I believe I may be saying, TAIS-TOI Jean-Pierre A LOT this year while I am speaking, but once it's THEIR TURN, I want them to chat it up as much as possible!

    Many hugs and thanks for coming to visit! Anita

    ReplyDelete