Friday, September 20, 2013

French bread on Friday...pomme voyage, part two...


as i was putting this post together, i thought...

...if i ever to 

return to France, i would like it to be in September.

this time with, Mr D.  we would visit Normandy, (he is 

a big history "buff"). after Paris, we could take... 


...La Route du Cidre.







"Cider came to France by way of Kazakhstan. As caravans traveled west from where apples originated, the travelers discarded their apple cores and seeds on the roadside. These seeds grew into fruit-bearing apple trees and, eventually, made their way to modern day Brittany and Normandy, where the cooler climate proved difficult for grape production but ideal for apple cultivation."

"There are mentions of cider making in Normandy and Brittany as early as the middle ages and Charlemagne even documented the consumption of French cider in the early 10th century. But it was with the invention of the cider press in the 13th century that helped secure cider's place at the French table."
...more on French cider here!

with Autumn just three days away,  i thought it would be timely 

to share a site that i found with French recipes that 

flavor with cider.

:: cider recipes here ::

i substitute the call for Cognac in French onion 

soup with a little shot of Calvados, during the Autumn months. 



this morning i brought the Boulard to the kitchen.

it's so perfect in it's place as Autumn decor!

i love to have it near, to remind me to 

bring a sip of Pays d'Auge to my Autumn recipes.


we will be welcoming Autumn with Julia's French onion soup

 on Sunday. i'll start the cooking process at halftime of

the Seahawks game. football and French onion soup...

...the best of two worlds! 

here's to the weekend!

go Cougs!

bienvenue automne!

go Seahawks!

withLove!

13 comments:

  1. OK, I'm going to make this your way. And, I love NFL football! We always cheer for the Seahawks cause we love Seattle too. So, the Texans, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, those are MY teams.
    xx's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lynne, the recipe looks wonderful. I have never tasted calvados, I need to change that. I hope your dream of visiting the cider route comes to fruition, it sounds wonderful. Thank you for your lovely message and good wishes. Wishing you a wonderful weekend, with love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lynne, the recipe looks wonderful. I have never tasted calvados, I need to change that. I hope your dream of visiting the cider route comes to fruition, it sounds wonderful. Thank you for your lovely message and good wishes. Wishing you a wonderful weekend, with love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, la Normandie! Je voudrais y aller aussi car au nord se trouvent Mont St. Michel, La Manche et aussi le CIDRE! BON WEEKEND! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn in France sounds so wonderful. Enjoy your weekend. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your posts! Every.Single.One. Even the ones I read and flee - without a comment as I am chasing a baby or a 76 year old man around! It's the same.
    You are such a class act! I have never been to France.....but I shall look for some Boulard! Happy Friday night to you and Mr. D!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that soup looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the tip.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly enjoyed the little story of cider. That soup looks wonderful. Enjoy this weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the history lesson on cider - I love learning random tidbits.

    That French onion soup looks wonderful and I am going to suggest to the chef (my husband) that he make it this week.

    We have two different sets of friends that are in France right now - for 3 weeks each. Oh, how envious I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This French onion soup looks amazing, Lynne. Every year on Christmas Eve my husband makes French Onion soup and puts it in little bowls and bakes them with cheese on top. It is a tradition in our family. That candle looks dreamy. I'm going to have to check them out this weekend.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea on the french onion soup ! Your blog is evoking a very lovely autumn feel...
    Ciao bella, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a post! I had NO idea about the history of cider in France. I have that same candle~ bath and body works? :)

    Also loved the little pier at fall that you pinned. Happy loveliness.

    Have a week as beautiful as you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I am very impressed after reading through parts of your blog. With your cooking skills I think you could be interested in this competition I have found. You cook your national dish and then you have the opportunity to win an iPad mini or money. It could also be a good chance for you to let more people know about your blog since you will be shown on their homepage and in a cookbook!
    Here's the presentation about the competition:
    Competition: Win iPad or Money
    And here's their facebook page:
    Facebook Page

    I hope you will be win..

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete