Tuesday, February 18, 2014

HITTING THE ICE!

while watching the Winter Olympics via NBC, there has been

much tongue in cheek, chic reference to Vodka. i guess it goes along with the cliche'...

when in Rome...

***

when in Whistler, a few weeks ago, we decided to go for one of those once in a lifetime experiences.

E N T E R...

the Belvedere Ice Room at the Bearfoot Bistro.



the Bearfoot Bistro is home to the coldest vodka tasting room in the world. at -32C (-25F) 

the Belvedere Ice Room provides the optimal environment for drinking this complex spirit.

mind you, i had never had a straight shot of vodka in my life, only mixed with OJ, 

Mr and Mrs T's, Grapefruit juice or in a decadent Black Russian. the bistro features this cool

 little experience for 48.00. our request was to sample what could be conceived as the best

 of the best. of course it would not be a surprise to you that i was inquisitive

about the French vodkas, Chambord and Grey Goose. although they were on

display in their individual carved out cubbies,  i was immediately put in place

 with a polite no.      (okay...so it's all about Russian Vodka?)

no.

it's about Polish Vodka.

after one shot of Belvedere citron, the obvious choice... (after all we were 

in the BELVEDERE  Ice Bar.)  we then started tasting some

very unique and smooth Polish vodkas.  four shots in all.  the shot glasses were

a smaller modified size, which is why i decided to give it a go.

Mr D stayed out of the ice room. he took photographs, and sipped the "best Black Russian

 that he has ever had in his entire life".  the bartenders were very experienced.

his tender shook the whipped cream for top of his drink inside a cocktail shaker, and

added a pick with three tiny sweet preserved cherries that were not of the traditional

maraschino variety.      a special dessert on the rocks!




the Barefoot Bistro is most famous for it's unique Champagne Bar. the arrow points to

illuminated champagne glasses on ice. the glasses have stems without bases. 




they fit neatly in their place, nested in the ice.




the Canada Goose down Arctic - ready parkas sell for 1000.00.

our host stated that they do sell on occasion.  just like Vegas, there are some high

rollers that vacation at Whistler.

we traditionally make dinner in our time-share condominium, then set out to seek a special form

of dessert.  this night's choice was  pretty cool!

only 29 days, 9 hours and 7 minutes until Spring 2014...i'm so there!

withLove!

14 comments:

  1. What fun! I've always wanted to go into an ice bar/room! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation:) xxL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

    We are a family of skiers and Whistler is on our list. The last few years, snow has been limited in California and it is predicted that we are in year 3 of a 10 year drought. So, we are trying to do an out of state location each year. This year it was Alta in Utah. We have all skied in Colorado so maybe heading to Whistler will be for next winter. But, I don't know that we will do the vodka thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds like more fun than shoveling.:):) I think your trip would be fun. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and cool place ( no pun intended). Looks beautiful. I do like Vodka so it sounds like a great thing to do. Seems we are all beginning to think about spring… ours seems to have arrived early ( sorry)… but you get to have all those wonderful Tulips to visit soon. Have a wonderful Tuesday Lynne.
    XOXO Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you had fun! + visited a great place. thanks xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds (and looks) like a fun place!

    Bring on the Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely experience! I've given up skiing, but I do apres ski very very well, and this is exactly my cup of tea (no pun intended). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can not believe we missed doing that last week!!! We did lots of other fun things, but that would have been my fav. I guess I'll just have to arrange another trip up with my daughter.
    Great pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very cool! Although I think I would skip the vodka for the champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful bistro, and a must see for me. I would love the champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Barefoot Bistro sounds charming, Lynne. I would like to try the Polish Vodka, as I am part Polish myself. Sounds interesting.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Lynne! WOW you look great in that fantastic parka! I have not been able to keep up with the Olympic games, at all, so I have no idea what is happening, but thank you for sharing! It's always so nice to visit you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sound like fun even though I can't stand the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I LOVE it!!!! I bet that was such a 'cool' experience!!!

    ReplyDelete