Sunday, November 30, 2014

yesterday...in the "snowlight" on 34...

hey lovelies!

it snowed on 34th street yesterday!

 for those of you in the Midwest and the Northeast, it may seem

silly that we get excited about the white stuff! 

it's not the "norm" in our marine west coast climate. 

( "s n o w l i g h t" ?   not...a...real...word. )

the day held it's "special bright", and allowed for me to capture

a few images around here, as i begin to transcend into Christmas.

the pumpkins are packed away. i took this picture just before

i removed the wheat stalks.




the style of  our home is termed Pacific Northwest Contemporary.

it's very angular and '80's.  ( that is why i embrace the 

earthy, artisan, and rustic side of  French.)


  every girl wishes for a home with a beautiful staircase. 

 ...one that stands alone.

...one that "wraps".

my dream staircase is on the "outside"!

the window that views the staircase is about nine feet tall and

 3 feet wide. it's the focal point of  our house. 

Michael, (our builder), did a beautiful job wrapping the deck and the 

staircase in cedar.  

the little area between "where the bay leaf tree grows"

and the staircase will be converted to a potting place with an 

herb garden.  we removed the outdated custom window treatment from

the window a couple years ago. the new staircase diffuses the

view into the house.  it will be nice to keep the window uncovered, 

and let the light shine in! 


the farm table is beginning to hold my inspiration for

the days of decorating, crafting ahead.


the pages of this damaged and rescued French cookbook

are card stock thick. i will be using them to make 

tags for gifts from the kitchen, and to flourish packages when appropriate.  


it is my tradition not to decorate until December 1st.

yesterday was a day to move furniture and vacuum the "edges"

and out of normal reach spaces...to set the stage for tomorrow.

( yes, that's The Chocolate Gousse's toy basket,

and Mr D's laptop cord.)  the vintage battery jar will be

a snow globe by Tuesday! i have seen multiple ways

of displaying this new tree skirt from H & M. it found it's

place on the console table for this Christmas.

 the lamp shade needs to be updated. i am seeking oval or 

rectangle linen...or fine grade burlap

i invite your suggestions.

the watercolor is by Fran Velling.

( you can see the new drapes in it's reflection.)

i love her work and her heart.

she paints the ceilings of the cancer care facilities.

the rooms where the ill spend time scanning and receiving

radiation. the very places where one needs a diversion

 when stressed and staring at the ceiling.



we love our little "beats" portable speaker.

yesterday, i found it atop the wine bar, when dusting.

it's a fabulous gift idea. the amazing sound goes everywhere with us. 

i can not imagine a Summer evening by the fire pit without it.

i still remember the sad look on Mr D's face the day i made him haul 

the gargantuan "Speaker Lab" speakers out of the house.

we picked up 10 square feet of living room space...those things

were M O N S T E R S!  


one more new piece awaits the colors of Christmas!


this image of yesterday in the "snowlight"  was

taken about three o'clock.  i sat down for a cup of tea and 

spied this pretty little filter of light into our cupboard.

the moment reminded me how i need to take time

to enjoy reflections of light and places around me. 


 how seeking reflections can bring peace of mind...


( i wish that i could have taken such an amazing photograph)


you never know what you might miss before

you navigate around that mud puddle 

on a rainy day!

withLove!


14 comments:

  1. Chère Lynne! We got our share of snow too, but we are used to it, yet for me, a native Californian but Boston transplant, the snow is a NOVELTY every time it comes. Enjoy the beauty of nature and inside your cozy bungalow! BISOUS BISOUS! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, I am so glad you enjoyed your snow. :) I had to laugh about the big speakers. It's better without them , I am sure. I love the idea of making tags form the old cookbook. Perfect. Blessings for a new week of fun. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you are anticipating the season! a little snow sure sets the mood! It is warm here in Texas today. The wind is blowing and the leaves are falling fast and furious! Louis Dean is out blowing them away from the doors and them mowing them as I write. My decorating has begun in earnest! I am in a 'Get 'R DONE' mood but my body is tired so I am taking it slower than I would like. Wish I could wrinkle my nose and PRESTO! It's done!!! But I'm no Genie so it's back to the porch I go! Since we got a 'new' tree for the living room - I am setting the old one up on the porch!
    Pace yourself!!!! Loved seeing what YOU are seeing today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep my wine corks in a Tom's jar much the same as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plans sound wonderful! Snow is one of those happy things, at least for those of us who only occasionally receive it. I a wonderful time decorating and crafting. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful to have had a little dusting of snow…and "snowlight" is a lovely term for it… I'm a little bit jealous…:)
    XOXO Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so Jealous here, love your dusting of snow, as we are heading into colder weather I hope we get a bit of snow this year.
    We love our Jam box, we take our IPad everywhere with us and our small box wows any room or outdoor space with a big sound, so I know how much you little beats box means to you.... I am sure you are lost without it.

    It's always inspiring here, I am looking forward to spending time with tou

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a little snow will do + great time of the year. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you had a dusting of snow - perfect for ringing in the season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what gorgeous images and what fun you are having! I simply love your style lady. We had days of rain over the weekend here and it was so cozy to be inside with the downpours. I'm reading DVF's new book, so inspiring. Enjoy the dusting of snow my friend.
    xx, Heather
    PS-I have a fun giveaway going on at Stylemindchic Lifestyle $50 gift card and a fabulous Savvy Sleeper from Dale Jane....love!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get excited about snow too but we have not had any here in NJ this year. I would love a white Christmas however. I love all your pretty photos. I love your relaxed cottage style. Happy planning and enjoy your holidays.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynne! Wasn't the DUSTING of snow perfect? Having it snow over the long weekend was perfect ;)

    I too wait until December 1 to begin decking the halls. Thanksgiving needs my undivided attention!

    Sounds like you've got lots of fun festivities planned!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you shared your little moments with us Lynne, you're so wise to stop and notice the subtle beauty around you. Thanks for the reminder to slow down... enjoy your Christmas decorating!

    ReplyDelete