Friday, January 2, 2015

F r e n c h b r e a d o n F r i d a y !


M r.  D's  



C H A R C U T E R I E


charcuterie (/ʃɑrˌktəˈr/ or /ʃɑrˈktəri/; northern French: [ʃaʁkytˈʁi] or southern

 French: [ʃaʁkytəˈʁi], from chair 'flesh' and cuit'cooked') is the branch of cooking devoted

 to prepared meat products, such as baconhamsausageterrinesgalantines,ballotines,

pâtés, and confit, primarily from pork. charcuterie is part of the garde manger (pantry) 

chef's repertoire. originally intended as a way to preserve meat before the advent of 

refrigeration, they are prepared today for their flavors derived from the preservation processes.




hello lovelies!

most of you know that i am allergic to pork.

(i know, it's very sad.)

i developed the allergy in my late 50's.

the two hardest things for me to give up were prosciutto and pancetta.




one day, Mr D and i were out walking in a winter wonderland

 shopping for Christmas presents when he

 said, "Lynne, i am going to try to make prosciutto out of duck breast."

( at the same time i am thinking...how cool...and...could this be safe? )

hmmmmm...

that mind of his never ceases to surprise me! 



( i found this recipe to share with you.)


he read up...researched the process...

...and prepared the first piece for our petite charcuterie.



Mr D cured our breast in a mixture of kosher salt with a little of

Kimberly Taylor's  tiggy & grace apple wood smoked salt and brown sugar. 

YUM...

le petit magret de canard cured in the upstairs fridge for two days.




it was bundled in cheesecloth with care and moved

to hang in the downstairs mini fridge (which also happens to be the kiddos

chalkboard)  for at least two weeks.




i know... the image of hanging meat in a mini fridge is not pretty. 



this image found here is a bit easier to look at.

( perhaps... i should have encouraged Mr D to use pretty bakers twine and

vintage tags for the romance of blogging...

...SO NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...as THIS was HIS DEAL. )

i must proclaim that our petite piece of charcuterie is beginning to smell divine!


:: ici ::


 i will be putting Christmas away this weekend.

i sort of love the idea of keeping the twinkle lights lit for the dark days of winter.


***


it's time to hit the shower!

back to the real world!

withLove!

6 comments:

  1. In this one blog post I learned so much about your husband. Wow! What a keeper. I hope it turns out beautifully.
    I just told Mr. Decor that I think I am going to keep my snow village up on the buffet through January. We light it each night at dinner time and it's so enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great idea. I LOVE DUCK! Do tell how it all turns out! Blessings to you Lynne for the new year! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne, How very sweet of your husband to make some thing you like and won't be allergic too. He's your hero. You two make a great team. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergic to pork, Lynne, oh no! I love pork! I have put away all my Christmas stuff, but I know what you mean. It's so hard to take the lights down, and what a great idea to keep a few twinkle lights up for the winter. Have a blessed weekend.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my friend, what a fine husband you have to experiment in such a way for you! We were traveling so I'm just catching up on your merry and fun posts. You have had a 'sparkling' holiday which embodies your word for the year. Lovely...lovely! Cheers to you Lynne and Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a romance you two have!!! You have something very special!
    I am leaving my decorations up for another week. Actually I am geting to just sit back and enjoy them now that all the hustle and bustle is over. I take down all the colored lights when I pack Christmas away but I keep the white ones year round. I use them so much I have to but a supply after Christmas (on sale) to last through to the next Christmas! Happy weekend, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete