Friday, September 12, 2014

FRENCH BREAD ON FRIDAY...

hello lovelies!

i hope this FBoF finds you well and set for...

les derniers jours de l'été 2014!

( summer's finish ! )

l'arrivée!

our weather continues to be amazing.

at night the lows are in the 40's and in the day the highs are in the 80's.

...my favorite weather...heat with an intermittent cool and soothing Autumn breeze.



i subscribe to a blog called French Word A Day.

today's word is : une mijoteuse (me-zho-teuz)

:: slow cooker

crock pot :: crockpot :: cocotte

i smiled when i read today's word.

i have difficulty visualizing those in the land of  Le Creuset using a crock pot.

since Jay gave me my first piece of Le Creuset, three years ago, i stopped using

my "cocotte"... une mijoteuse!
( ...sounds so much better than "crockpot", doesn't it?)

(peut-être que je devrais dépoussiérer!)
( dust it off, Lynne!)

start with this recipe from one of Kristin's followers...


Crockpot Lemon Chicken
Mijoté de poulet au citron
2 onions, cut in eighths
3 cloves garlic, peeled
8 pieces of chicken, skinned
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
1/2 cup chicken bouillon
4 sprigs of tarragon (ok, if you have to, use 1 teaspoon dried tarragon)
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the onions and the garlic in the crockpot.
Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then slather them with the mustard and place in the crockpot.
Pour the lemon juice and chicken bouillon on top and then finish with the tarragon sprigs (or sprinkle on dried tarragon).
Cook on low heat for at least four hours, giving it a stir, if possible, along the way.
Before serving this crockpot lemon chicken recipe, remove the tarragon and discard. Remove the chicken, which should be falling off the bone, and set aside. Stir the cream into the sauce and then return chicken to the crockpot to serve.
Serves 6.
Note: For extra lemon flavor, place a couple of slices of lemon on top along with the tarragon before cooking.

if you are not familiar with French Word A Day...


...i encourage you to visit Kristin.

she shares "a down home French life"!
"par chez nous français!"

( i am so going to redo our mailbox! )

posté pommes de terre avec de la citrouille sur le côté, beautés?
( posted potatoes with pumpkin on the side, lovelies?)


9 comments:

  1. Ah, Ah, j'ai du rire!! C'est vrai une cocotte est toute aussi bonne (je dois avouer que le crockpot ici est toujours dans le debarras!)
    I'll pass on the mailbox though, we like the good old Royal mail box here (even if we do not get mai delivered to the island!)
    All the best for a wonderful weekend to you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I love that one French word a day- I am headed to her blog! What a quaint picture of a mailbox! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about getting out the crock pot and this is a delicious dish to get it out to try. Thanks for spotlighting French and giving us a fresh new way to serve chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...I love my Le Creuset but my excuse that the crock pot is heavy and cumbersome is just as indicative of the French cookware. So, I'm going to do this recipe. I love the way the French do their chicken with the bones in...have you ever seen it any other way? We are lazy!

    Cool weather here. May be visiting Seattle and then Vancouver in January or February. Can I get in touch?

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour, Lynne! Quelle bonne idée de préparer un civet de poulet! Notre temps ici, il fait FROID!

    Je te souhaite un bon week-end! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you do a French word a day - may have to subscribe! I took French many years ago and would love to brush up! Fall is the perfect time to pull out the crock pot - can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In any language this recipe looks delicious. French Word a Day...reminds me of the desk calendars I used to buy for my work desk... before retirement and before wide use of computers and internet.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. DEAR DEAR LYNNE!

    Good evening! Ou bien, BONSOIR CHÈRE!

    I love your description of your Sweet September day.....isn't it lovely? And you, with Mt. Ranier in the background? And your new deck being bedecked with the final touches? SPLENDID!

    Yes, September is sweet as we see everything changing slowly, but love never changes. How cool is that?

    Thank you so much dear friend for coming over. You mean a lot to me.

    Now you have yourself a most wonderful Sunday, à la française, en famille! BISOUS BISOUS, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! And those beams in the photo! That is the exact color I wanted mine, but we couldn't figure out how to get that white washed look! So we stained them the lightest pine we could, but they still came out dark, but now I know that I can swipe some Annie Sloan white over them...maybe next summer I will! In the meantime, I will try to get some photos of my rooms for my blog.

    ReplyDelete